Blog Archive

Friday, September 22, 2023

Writing Connected Books: Author Interview with Lorana Hoopes

You’ve now published several books, but what inspired you to write that first one? What made you choose contemporary romance?
My first book was inspired by a weird event. My husband and I did a 5k once a week downtown and we always took our kids. My youngest was probably 6 months and as we parked there was a woman in front of Planned Parenthood waving a sign that said, "I love my reproductive rights." 
It broke my heart as I strapped my infant daughter in the stroller and that night, I just felt like God was calling me to write this story. I fought Him for days because I didn't think anyone would want to read it, but finally I gave in. I would write until I had no more words, go to sleep and wake up with more words. 
How long did it take you to write your first book that was published?
I finished the book in a month. It wasn't originally a romance, but more of a women's fiction, but eventually it went through some changes and became more of a romance. I owe that to Evangeline Kelly who helped me out as I didn't really read a lot of romances. 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?

Wow, the best encouragement actually just happened. I got word that my book - In the Light of Day - was chosen as the Reader's Favorite Silver Medal winner for romantic suspense. That was big for me.
Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
Bookbub was huge for awhile, but my last one wasn't that great. Generally, I'd say Faithful Reads as they cater to Christian readers and tend to get good results, but honestly, I think the market is too saturated for even those to be great now.
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
Writing connected series. When I first started writing billionaires, they didn't really go together other than they all featured a billionaire. One day I'll go back and fix that, but when I wrote the Texas Tornado series and The Men of Fire Beach series, I made sure one book led naturally to the next and I had much better read through.
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

Be a better plotter than I am lol. I'm a pantster and I always get stuck in the middle. I don't think there's a book I've written that I didn't start over three or four times.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?

It's not easy and to be successful, it takes a lot more than just writing. You have to know how to market and engage readers and more.
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
The next one coming out is Spring into Love, the third in my romantic comedy series. It follows Piper, the nerdy friend, who just got ghosted by her boyfriend. He was her first and she she got turned down for a job promotion at the same time, so she's dealing with some huge self-esteem issues. 
Unbeknownst to her, her coworker Patrick has had a crush on her, and when he finds out what's going on, he offers to help her break out of her shell. Along the way they fall in love, but there's some stumbles along the way.
That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Lorana's books, check out her websitehttps://authorloranahoopes.com/
And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of one of  Lorana's eBooks. She's offering a copy of In the Light of Day. It's the one that won an award.
So comment now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment