Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

It's Beginning to Read Like Christmas Kids Books 2023: Author Interview with John Alexander

What made you decide to write Christmas themed books? Could you give a short synopsis on the books for my readers?

I always enjoyed Christmas and after my first novel, The Enclave, a mystery suspense novel, I always had a children’s book in mind. So, as I began my first children’s book, I decided to center it around a Christmas theme. Christmas Garden involves two sisters whose natural curiosity lead them into investigating wild rumors of a witch and a haunted house. Their exploits lead them on a journey of discovering the truth and finding a way to bring the whole town together at Christmas. This first chapter book began a series, and I wrote three more books which became the four book Amber-Autumn Mystery series.

After discovering my love for writing in rhyme, especially telling stories in rhyme, I began writing children’s picture books. The Christmas Gift is special to me as unlike the rest, it was agented and eventually published by Elk Lake Publishing, Inc. The story centers around a little mouse who once lived in a dumpster and now lives in a mansion with her adorable husband. As she warms herself by the fireplace in the mansion on a hill, Ms. Mouse considers her husband’s question, “What do you want for Christmas?” An angelic vision in the embers reveals the perfect request. The fulfillment of her gift demonstrates the joy of giving.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

I love Christmas parties with friends, the smell of fragrant candles, tree decorations, Christmas carols, Christmas eve service at church, hearing the carols sung by a choir, and the making of my Christmas video – reading my poems with pictures and music in the background.

What’s next? 
After a mystery/suspense novel, four chapter books, four picture books, two devotional books of poetry with 365 poems each, I have begun putting together selected poems by topic and preparing books and video presentations to accompany local poetry readings. I have put together God Given Friends, Seasons of Change, Words of Hope, In Times of Grief, and Songs, Praise and Joy. I hope to continue preparing more and sharing them with the right audiences. I’ve also enjoyed the opportunity for the last few years to share my poems as a monthly contributor to Faith On Every Corner digital magazine now read in over 100 countries.
 
What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
Write for the joy of writing, write what you love, write from the heart, be vulnerable, find others to provide good honest feedback along the way.
 
What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?

Writing is fun. I wrote my first novel in my 60s, I discovered my love of writing in rhyme the year I turned 70. Although I now have over a dozen books and over 700 poems in print, I missed out on a lot of years of experiencing the joy of writing and sharing.
Any last words or tips?

Find your passion and go for it.
Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?
All available on Amazon, in addition to the ones I’ve already listed above, Grandfather’s Blessing, Golden Campout, The Secret Room. Quiet Time Rhymes – Volume 1 & II, Daily Reflections – Volume I & II, The Young Author – an unpictured book, and The Velveteen Rabbit – Lyrical Rendition.

That's all for today's interview. I hope you will check out John's books by using the links below. He certainly has a lot for you to choose and review!
John's Blog: quiettimerhymes.com/
Facebook: facebook.com/QuietTimeRhymes/

No comments:

Post a Comment