Blog Archive

Friday, October 27, 2023

It's Beginning to Read a Lot Like Christmas 2023 : Author Interview with Jenny Hale

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? 
I don't know where my ideas come from. After writing 23 novels, 10 of them Christmas, I pull from everywhere. For example, I met with my trade distributor a while back and we were talking about cover images that sell, and one of them sparked a whole story. Another time, an editor friend of mine and I were brainstorming romantic beach images to come up with a title and I wrote an entire story from it.

Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
Traveling writer and researcher Stella Fisher is working in London when she's called home to her family’s farmhouse in Leiper’s Fork, Tennessee to help her mother through the first Christmas without her father. When Stella arrives home, she doesn’t expect to find Henry Dutton, the man she’d left behind. She thought she’d buried her past, yet the look in his alluring blue eyes brings it all right back to the surface.

Under the glitter of the holiday trees at the local lot called Christmas, Stella uncovers more than she’d ever imagined. Will she be able to return to her old life? Or will the unexpected be the biggest Christmas gift of all?

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
 
Every holiday, I make a gingerbread house with my boys (who still do it with me at the ages of 17 and 14!), we bake cookies, we watch a Christmas movie as a family every year, and we tour tacky Christmas lights. My hubby maps out the best ones and we pile in the car and follow the map, taking photos and then usually nibbling on some sort of Christmas treat.

What’s next in books for you?
I own and run Harpeth Road Press, so my goal right now is to continue to write novels while building the company. 

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share? 
I think it's a more general idea: the process of writing is different for everyone, so there's no one way to do it.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner? 
Holy cow, everything! Having been on both the author's and publisher's side, I think the biggest aha moment was when I realized that the publisher wants to make the author a success as much as the author wants to be a success. Listen to your editors and, as long as you have a viable publisher, trust them. They might not always get it right, but their goal is to knock it out of the park. 

Any last words or tips?
 
The Harpeth Road blog has lots of author resources with articles such as, "The Legalities of Being an Author," "The Eight Hidden Skills of Career Authors," and "Your Author Website" to name a few.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about? 
Yes! Do check out Harpeth Road's books! Our first three years were building years, but this year, we've got TONS of new books coming.

That's all for today's interview. Jenny's books have sold over one million copies worldwide and have been translated into multiple languages. So far, two of her books have been made into Hallmark movies. Here's how you can learn more about her books.
Harpeth Road Presshttps://www.harpethroad.com/

Here's a special bonus for my readers... Check out this sweet romance giveaway that starts Monday. One winner will get 33 eBooks and an eReader. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 23 novels! I'll check into Harpeth Road Publishing. Sounds like they have some good resources for writers.

    ReplyDelete