Blog Archive

Friday, November 24, 2023

Giving Thanks for Thanksgiving Themed Books 2023 with C.K. Fyfe

You’ve now published several books, but what inspired you to write that first one? 

I was actually inspired by my love for animals. My first cozy mystery short story, A Hare-Raising Haunting, was my submission for a multi-author anthology called, The Big Fang. The anthology organizers were searching for all types of mysteries involving animals. Since I enjoy reading mysteries and I have a soft spot for animals, it felt like a purrfect fit! Although I adore cats, I chose to write about a spunky little rabbit named Pepper, who readers seem to enjoy. However, for me, the most gratifying aspect of writing that story is the fact that I got to make a difference in the lives of animals. The Big Fang is a charity anthology, and all proceeds go toward helping the animals at Harbor Humane Society in West Olive, MI. 

How do you go about plotting your mystery? What do you think makes for a perfect cozy murder mystery?

That’s a good question! Since I’m more of a pantser-style author, meaning I write by the seat of my pants and come up with details as I go, I don’t spend much time plotting out my mysteries. I usually have a general idea of the characters, setting, and storyline. But other than that, I tend to let my characters lead the way and allow them to tell their own stories. When it comes to the perfect cozy mystery, I enjoy quirky characters, small-town traditions, and Nancy Drew-type sleuthing. And in my opinion, the perfect cozy mystery, no matter how serious the crime, should include a touch of humor.  I love to insert humor into the dialogue and action of my stories. 


What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?

An author I admire once encouraged me to write from my heart. When you let the passion from your heart flow onto the pages, readers connect with your characters on a deeper level. Also, writing from the heart allows an author to discover his or her unique writing voice. 


 Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?

I’ve had the best success with multi-author promotions, where there is a central landing page for all the books, and each author shares the link to the page with their readers via newsletter and social media. This type of promotion is a wonderful way for writers to work together, while offering readers a variety of options that they may not have considered before. 

 

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?

I wish I had known that you shouldn’t beat yourself up over a lousy first draft. It’s easy to think that your manuscript is garbage. But the thing you must remember is that a work in progress will go through several rounds of revisions. So, it’s okay if the story isn’t polished at first. There’s plenty of time to do the corrections necessary to make your story shine!  

 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

My best advice is to do something writing-related every day. Write, research, revise, or brainstorm. But do something! I had an English teacher in high school who often had her students do brainstorming exercises. To this day, when I’m battling writer’s block, I do what she taught me all those years ago: I jot down whatever pops into my head. Hopefully, somewhere in there, among the chaotic scribbles, is the solution to my problem. 


Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?

Take advantage of the opportunities around you. You’ll find that there will always be writers who are more prolific and experienced than you. Learn from them. You’ll find yourself miles ahead of newbie writers. Take the time to teach them. Both experiences will help you grow as an author. 

 

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

My Thanksgiving-themed cozy mystery short story, Turkey Trot Trouble, was just  released. The main characters, Kenzie and Blaise, are long-time best friends who end up with more of an adventure than they bargain for when they join the local 5K race. When several runners collapse without explanation, they must race against time to solve the mystery. In the meantime, they’re forced to confront their true feelings about each other without losing their friendship. 


That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about this author's books, here are some links to get you started.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100076476694980

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of Auction Block Bandit. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll choose a winner next Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. Good marketing idea and I agree that we learn every day from all writers. I would love to win Auction Block Bandit.

    ReplyDelete