Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 14, 2023

It's Beginning to Read Like Christmas 2023 - Author Interview with Ellie Rush

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?

North Pole Unlimited is a long-running series, but the idea for Noel and Merrily came from a supper with my niece and nephew where we were trying to explain that Burt Reynolds was considered a sex symbol in the last 70s and early 80s. After that conversation, I realized I had completely confused “Cannonball Run” with “Smokey and the Bandit”, and the idea for a road trip romance was born.

I hope you don’t mind that I had a little fun with the synopsis of “Noel and Merrily”
'Twas the 20th of December
And Noel was stuck,
In Vancouver, flight cancelled,
He was right out of luck.

Merrily was road-tripping
With a seat to spare
She had to drive across Canada
And good navigators were rare. 

Beautiful scenery,
A highway full of laughter.
Will these two stubborn travellers
Find the love they are after?

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

We host an open house at the beginning of December. It’s a great chance to see friends who you don’t see throughout the year. We also have a Christmas tree decoration date with a holiday movie playing in the background. When it comes to food, we always have Cranberry Breakfast Cake when we’re opening presents.

What’s next in writing for you? 
My next book is going to be The Cowboy and the Constable as part of my Royal Oak Ranch Sweet Western series. After that, I’ll be returning to Holiday Beach.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
Keep a list of crutch or filler words and do a “Search” when you think you are finished your first draft. See how many you can delete to tighten your writing. (My personal weaknesses include “just” and starting a sentence with “And”.)

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
If you are writing a series, think hard about quitting before you have three books out. Three is where they can begin to pick up speed.

Any last words or tips?
If you are bored writing it, they will be bored reading it.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?

Recommendations of my own books – Beyond my North Pole Unlimited books, I also celebrate holidays year-round in Holiday Beach, starting with Shamrocks and Surprises. For western romance loves, I’d love you to check out the Royal Oak Ranch, beginning with The Cowboy and the Movie Star.

For writers - I love Zoe York’s three Publishing How To Books.

That's all for today's interview. Hope you'll check out Elle's books with these links.
Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/Elle.Rush.Romance
Facebook Group “Celebrate Books”: https://www.facebook.com/groups/229576058329066

And here's a special bonus, sign up for her newsletter at www.ellerush.com/newsletter  and get a free book. Plus, she has lots of newsletter Christmas bonuses for the holiday season.




No comments:

Post a Comment