Blog Archive

Friday, February 23, 2024

Writing Historical and Contemporary Novels: Author Interview with Scott R. Rezer

Your earlier books were historical stories set an Old Testament times. Recent books are contemporary stories with a dual timeline to the past. Why the change in genres? 
Well, two of my earlier novels are Biblical Fiction based on Noah and the Flood and the succeeding generations, and I am still in the process of finishing that series up with a two-part novel about the Tower of Babel in the near future. It was supposed to be out this year, but life got in the way. But the change to contemporary fiction with dual timelines was because of my wife. In 2022, she underwent a second surgery for cancer in two years, and I wanted to gift her with something lighter and easier to read.

I had planned to eventually venture into contemporary Christmas stories and this seemed like the best time to do it. In a nutshell, these novels are like love letters to my wife. Did she love them? Of course she did! But now that I have switched over, I am having a hard time wanting to go back because these are so much easier to write! But I will. Eventually. I can’t leave my Biblical characters stranded in the Mesopotamian desert forever awaiting my return! But for now, I am parking in the contemporary camp as long as my wife keeps enjoying them. Which may be a while!
 
How do you go about doing research for your books? 

When it comes to research, I read and read and read. And then, I read some more. I have a whole library of books. Also, with the advent of the internet, it has opened up a world of tech journals and scholarly articles from which to glean background information for my settings and characters, so I have piles of photocopied stuff.

 What’s one of the most unique facts you’ve discovered in doing your research? 
I’m not sure about unique—I’d rather say amazing. While spending hours and hours of painstakingly researching my second Civil War novel, Love Remembreth Not, based on my 2nd great-grandfather, a Confederate soldier, I found a record in the official records of the war that when he had deserted the army just before the end of the war, he did so in the company of an Black woman, inferring she was probably a slave, and that he may have helped her escape. It’s impossible to know, but it made for a poignant scene in the story!
 
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
 Hands down, kind words from fellow indie writers. Great reviews are important, but when authors take the time to personally tell me something, it means the world to me. Recently, since we are on the subject of my newer Contemporary Fiction, a friend messaged me after reading my second Christmas novel to tell me, This is your genre. His words, and his continued support behind the scenes, have given me the confidence to move forward in this endeavor. You just can’t beat that kind of encouragement.
 
Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
 
To be honest, I’m still trying to discover what works. I’ve tried Facebook groups, but for me they don’t work. For others, it does. So I would have to say it depends on the author, the time they are willing to devote, and the genre of your work—and whether or not people know your work. Some genres just sell better. A writer friend recently told me I needed to have a newsletter, so that is one avenue I’m pursuing this year. We’ll see if it helps. My problem (or is it one?) is that I am a multi-genre writing. I write what interests me, so it’s hard to nail down a specific set of devoted readers. Hopefully, a newsletter will help me reach those readers. Also, for this new contemporary series, I entered the two books into Kindle Unlimited, and so far it has helped reach a wider audience. 
 
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had known that writing is the easy part. It just is. I almost never have writer’s block. The hard part is getting an audience. It takes time and effort. 
 
What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Don’t quit. Ever. Just keep writing. And never, ever, be afraid of killing your darlings. Unless your wife objects—strongly. I did that once and she made me write the character back into the story! Turns out she was right. It made the story better. But honestly, always do what is best for the story. So don’t fall in love with your own writing or cleverness so much that you’re unwilling to change something. You and your readers will appreciate it later, even if they don’t ever know!
 
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
 
To any aspiring writers out there, write because you love it and can’t imagine yourself doing anything else. The moment writing becomes a chore or a have-to-do-it thing, it will suck the life right out of your writing. If you are trying to get rich from writing you might consider a different avenue. There are some fortunate writers who have managed to succeed in that pursuit, but the vast majority barely squeak by. If it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. Just don’t make it the be all and end of your success. I would rather receive a great review from someone who was touched by my writing than make a ton of money. Probably not something you hear every day from an author, but for me, it’s the truth.
 
What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
My next book is entitled, Hear the Bells Ring, my third contemporary/historical Christmas novel. I plan to have it out before summer. It's a dual-timeline story that begs the question of whether it is possible for love to be so strong that it can reach across time.


That's all for today's interview.
If you want to learn more about Scott's books, here are some links to get you started.

Website: https://scottrezer.weebly.com/

And here's an added bonus. Check out these free eBooks on Amazon and you don't need to be  a KU subscriber!
Beneath the Broom Tree (St. Ninian's Sanctuary Christian Small Town Romance)Below the Surface (An Inspirational Christian Suspense)

No comments:

Post a Comment