Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Making Learning Fun: Author Interview with Kim Ann

You’ve now published 16 picture books, but what made you decide to start writing the first one? And why did you choose children’s books as your genre?

I have always enjoyed writing and reading. A few years back I began writing magazine articles but wanted to do more. I have a special needs son that loves picture books and so after reading so many books to my own children, I was inspired to write my own children's books.

You have your own publishing imprint, Lucky Four Press, where you publish with another author. How did that collaboration come to be?
Lucky Four Press, LLC, is my publishing company. Three years ago I met another children's book author in a Facebook group. After working together on different aspects of our own separate businesses, we started helping each other. This led to us deciding to write a series of affirmation books together. We publish them under my imprint. Yobe has her own imprint -- byyobeqiu.

Other than writing, what other parts of the process do you personally do? What do you hire others to do?

I am responsible for the sales and marketing of my books. This includes outreach to schools, stores, and libraries. I also do my own shipping and advertising. I have a favorite illustrator, editor, and formatter that I hire to help me.

What tips could you share about choosing an illustrator?
Make sure you outline exactly what you want out of the project. Have the illustrator you choose sign an agreement to the terms beforehand. Look at instagram for #illustrators, as well as reach out to illustrators whose work you already like.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
So many things. But I wish I understood how much work it is and how much money it will cost upfront to publish a book. Also the importance of hiring a great editor. I used mediocre editors early on and ended up making corrections later down the road.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Whenever possible, write the books readers want to buy and not necessarily what you want to write. There are so many books out there and it is much easier to market if you know your audience from the start.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
When you are first starting out try not to edit or censor yourself in your first draft. Brainstorm your thoughts and ideas before you start to edit. You never know what great material might be in those first drafts.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

The next book is Ten Little Sea Turtles, which is part of my Counting Book Collection. It is a factual story about sea turtles in a fun counting book style. The story begins with hatchlings and follows the turtles along their journey to adulthood. The illustrations are amazing too.

That's all for today's interview. 
If you'd like to learn more about her books, here are some links to get you started.

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a signed copy of Ten Little Starfish. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. I just received my copy of my first children's book. After working with 2 different illustrators and paying out a lot of money, I have a very cute book, but not sure I'll see my money back anytime soon. I would love to find the right illustrator at the right price. And I would love to win Ten Little Starfish. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete