Blog Archive

Friday, September 6, 2024

Writing and Publishing Take work: Author Interview with Jessica Parker

You have now published 20 books, but what inspired you to write that first book?

Each book has their own spark of inspiration, but my first one.... that one was born as I sat on my couch. The TV had a commercial for The Bachelor playing, while I read The Hunger Games, and I wondered. What would happen if the women had to fight for a chance to marry a prince? I had to add magic because magic is awesome. I love and hate that book now. I love the idea behind it, but I hate that I was so inexperienced when I wrote it. The story is still so much grander in my head, and it didn't come out on paper the way I wanted it to.

Confession it doesn't feel like twenty books because I got the marketing wrong on a few of them. So I had to unpublish and redo the covers, titles, etc. to fit better, but they still show up online under the old covers and titles. I also explored shorter and longer stories before deciding which direction I wanted to take.

You currently have a 3 book series that is a hockey romance. What drew you to writing a series around hockey. Will there be more books in that series?
I love romance, give me a good happily ever after and I'll be happy. When I went to my first hockey game I knew as I sat in my hard plastic stadium seat that I needed at least one book with a hockey player. Then as I wrote that story, I fell in love with the other characters too. Those characters needed their stories told as well. There are still characters I want to write about in Glacier Bay. I will absolutely write more books in the Hockey Book Club series.

You also have written several reimagined fairy tales for adults. Why did you pick the stories you did?

Fairytales were my favorites as a kid. Starting with the picture books, I'd look over the pictures and then as I got older read those books over and over again. I love the fight between good and evil, the magic, the variety of people and places and things. The lessons learned and how everything comes together.

Snow White & Rose Red is not as well known but it's my favorite which is why I chose it as one of the stories I wanted to retell in my book, Rose Red. I took some liberties to make the characters older than in the original fairytale, and of course more romance. A judgemental village, magical curses, mystery, unrequited love, and a happily ever after in jeopardy.

My Sea Princesses of Eventyr fairytales were not something I planned on writing. The ocean was scary to me for a long time thanks to movies like Jaws. It took a long time getting over that. Part of that journey was learning to scuba dive and I fell in love with the water. So much so, I became a scuba instructor to better understand it. Diving in the ocean feels like being on another planet sometimes, and it keeps giving me ideas for mermaids. The Little Mermaid and her sisters needed their stories told.

Snow White's Witch is a story where I wanted to explore how villains are the "Hero of their own story". It's a quote I heard a lot at a writer's conference and what better way to challenge that than with a classic villain? So I asked myself, what if Snow White lied?

You’re an indie author, which means you’re in charge of everything from writing to publishing and marketing. Other than writing, what other parts of the process do you personally do or hire others to do?

Hire: editor and cover designer.

Me: Social media, newsletters, writing, answering emails, arranging book signings, figuring out this business thing. That's just me and I do sometimes have to pause the marketing side while I write, etc. so I can make sure I spend time with my family and get my day job stuff taken care of. As my business grows I would like to hire out some of the other things, but I'm not to that point yet.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
Every author has their own process. Figure out what works for you and your readers, and take it one page at a time.

Marketing is the biggest key to making sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I'm still figuring out marketing. I've been experimenting with posting to various social media sites and some are better than others. I like analyzing data and it's been interesting to see how some of my books do better on TikTok vs Facebook. I decided a couple of years ago that I would put more effort into getting more books out so I'd have a bigger backlist to make marketing more cost-effective. Then along the way I also decided that I'd just do one thing better than before. One more post a week, then a day, etc.

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?

There's no magic answer. Writing and publishing takes work just like any other job. However, I find this work more rewarding.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
Keep going, and back up your files.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
There will be a million reasons not to write, not to publish. Write because you love it. Each author I've met has had their own journey and process. There is no "one way" to do it, just your way.

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?
My next book is a short story, The Mistletoe Goal and it comes out November 24th.

This is a hockey romance between Dan and Alexis. They're best friends, and Dan is stuck in the friend zone even though he'd like to be much more. He convinces Alexis to spend the hockey team's Christmas Break with him in a small town. He has one goal in mind, catch her under the mistletoe, and prove they should be more than friends.


That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Jessica's books, here are some links to get you started.
https://jessicaparkerstories.com/
https://www.amazon.com/stores/Jessica-Parker/author/B01DQZYR4K

And here's a bonus for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a copy of one of  Jessica's eBooks. So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Marketing has been the most difficult for me too. Great honest interview. Publishing/writing is not an easy business. Thanks and yes, I would love to be a winner!

    ReplyDelete