Blog Archive

Friday, December 13, 2019

A Good Book is Hard Work: Author Interview with Jeannie Moon


How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas story?  
Finding Christmas was a book that was hanging in the back of my mind for a while. I'd thought about doing a wounded warrior story, and when I started writing, I flipped the trope on its head and my heroine was the character who served, and she was recovering from a horrific injury. I was inspired by a photo of female military amputees. They were so strong and so beautiful...I knew Maggie had to be my warrior. 

Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
Small town Holly Point wasn’t big enough to hold the dreams of golden girl Maggie Benson. So, when she left at eighteen, she flew right through college and into the adrenaline-pumping life of a navy fighter pilot. But without warning, a devastating crash destroys the career she loves and sends her back to her overly protective family to heal. Maggie can’t imagine how she can reconnect with the woman she was until the hot local high school basketball coach steps up to show her the way.

Former NBA star, Will Fitzgerald, knows how an injury can derail more than a career. Still, he’s happy with his life as a teacher and coach at Holly Point High School, until his quiet life is upended by the beautiful, brilliant, and hurting Maggie. Blindsided by the intense attraction, Will wonders if pursuing the woman of his dreams will answer the question of what’s been missing in his life.

Can Maggie trust enough again to let Will past her wounds, inside and out, so that they can both find the Christmas magic they’ve been searching for?

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
I'm Italian and so many traditions revolve around food. We have a baking day a few weeks before Christmas and my daughters and I bake cookie favorites like pizzelles, anise drops, and struffoli. Closer to Christmas we start prepping for our Christmas Eve dinner which includes at least seven different kinds of fish and seafood. On Christmas morning, we have brunch with mulled cider and a glazed ham. Friends and family come by during the day. I never know who will turn up.  It's one of my favorite times of the year. 

What’s next?
I'm planning two books for next year, Compass Cove #4 and another Christmas book. I can't say too much about them as I'm still working on the story ideas. I have a ton of appearances coming up over the next couple of months. If you're local to the New York/Tri-state area, I'd love to see you.

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
I find you can work through almost any writer's block if you pay attention to your characters. If you're stuck in a story or have a hard time starting a story, write a character bio, or a letter from one character to another, by fleshing out the people involved in your story, you almost always get ideas that help the story flow.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
That writing gets harder, not easier. I thought I'd be a pro at this after sixteen books. I'm not. I'm harder on myself, I'm more exacting, and as a result, the writing is tougher. But the truth is, if I'm not struggling, the story will be weak. A good book is hard work.

Any last words or tips? 
If you aren't yet published, don't give up. It can be so discouraging but don't give up. If you're already published, and you're trying to find your niche, my advice is the same. Don't give up.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about? 
Compass Cove #3, All of Me, came out in late August. Readers are really enjoying the return to the small Long Island town, and I had fun writing about the place that's so much like my home.

That’s it for today’s interview. If you’d like to learn more about Jeannie’s book excerpts, social media links and FAQ's, they can all be found at www.jeanniemoon.com

1 comment: