Blog Archive

Monday, December 9, 2019

Challenge your Characters: Author Interview with Pam Binder


How did you come up with the idea for your book Christmas Knight? Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?  
The title came first. I'm was a history major in college and although we think that all men back in the middle ages were cave dwellers, that wasn't the case. There were good men, who sought to find love and build strong families. I wanted to tell the story of just such a man. 

Here’s a short blurb… Time travel meets Romance in this tale of a high-powered lawyer traveling to the 1500's to meet her soulmate: an honorable knight fighting to break a curse on his family. 

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions? 
My favorite Christmas traditions are baking cookies with our children that my mother used to bake with me. The cookies are called Spritz and are made using a cookie press. They are buttery and taste a little like shortbread. I've attached a picture of them.

What’s next?
January 29, The Inscription, a time travel set in Scotland will be released. Currently, I'm working on a novella that just might turn into a series. It's called, Mermaid Cove, and is set in Ireland, as well as Christmas Deadline, which will be released in time for Christmas 2020. I'll also be attending the BookLovers Convention in Nashville at the end of March. It's fun to be busy. :)

Wow! You are seriously involved in your writing career. What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share? 
The best advice for writers is to always be asking yourself, "what if?" This little phrase helps me plot my books and develop my characters. I ask myself, "what if?" my character turns left instead of right?

One piece of advice I learned from a Donald Maass workshop was: Write down the 10 things your character would never do, and make sure they do at least 3.  Another piece of advice I learned from a workshop was that the villain doesn't consider himself or herself a villain, they think they are the hero. 

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner? 
What I have learned is that each book has its own journey, no matter how many books you write. Some books are easy, and others take more time. Both are fun to write, but I have to admit, that the books that take more time, and cause me more sleepless nights, are the most fun. I like being surprised. 

Any last words or tips?  
Write what you love to read. If you can't find a story that you like, write that story. I started writing historicals because I love learning about history.

That’s all for today’s interview. If you’d like to learn more about Pam’s Christmas book or others, here are some links to get you started.

Book Trailer for Christmas Knight

PodCast interview for Christmas Knight


No comments:

Post a Comment