Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Set your Goals and Do What You Love Author Interview with Ann T Bugg

Just in case you were wondering, The name for this author is a pen name and I love how that name came about. According to her bio, she had
 been known as June-Bug for a good part of her life. When the first of her friends had a baby, the mother handed her and said, “Here’s your Auntie Bug.” Every kid from that point on who entered her life called  her Auntie Bug - an easy name to spell as Ann T Bugg! Now read on to learn of her writing journey for her eight MG novels.
What inspired you to write your first MG novel? And why the MG genre? 
The inspiration for the story is exactly how book one begins. We lived on a small hobby farm with an old barn. When we found the old mirror, the story just spilled. The main characters are based on my daughter and her best friend. I don’t even change their names. LOL Every smarty-pants little “ditty” they have ever done has made its way into the books. They couldn’t be any more night and day and made writing the characters fun. Valerie was in third grade when I started it, so I used her age as my audience.
Did you start with the idea of doing a series? Or did that come later?
When I started, I had no idea I would bring book one to an end, let alone know that those girls would lead me all the way to eight. I would write a chapter, my daughter would read it, then she said, “Hurry up and write another!” That was the best encouragement I had. Once I said, “It has to wait. I have to feed the horses,” she said, “I’ll do it! You write!” She had NEVER volunteered to do that before.

Some series keep their lead characters constantly at the same age. What made you decide to let your characters grow up?
The stories follow true to life, so I guess I didn’t have much of a choice. They’d get together each summer and go on these adventures, so they had to get older. As much as we try to keep them young, our wee ones have to grow up. I was afraid I was writing myself out of my audience but learned that much older kids and even ladies my mother’s age were enjoying the fun, clean read. I love fairy tales re-told. I was thrilled when Once Upon a Time came out. I swore by the last season they were reading my books! LOL Who else could mash up Captain Nemo and Hades??
Your current books are indie-published. What do you do and what do you hire out? 
When I had three books written and a little hidden page about them on my women’s fiction website, a publisher actually approached me. They were small and there were several red flags, but my daughter was too excited – I couldn’t say no. It ended up not working out at all and we parted ways. Once I got my rights back, I had to keep going. No publisher will look at your books once they have been published. I had too many stories to tell to just let them end.
My daughter is my cover artist – hence the added excitement of who I went with. With many publishers, you have no say whatsoever about your covers. They were excited for her work and extremely happy to have her do them. She was just nine when she did book number one. I got book eight out of her before she went to college. She now makes a living doing 3D avatars for Virtual Reality so I don’t know if I can get her to do another. There’s quite a waiting list for her work and apparently, Mom has no pull. ;)

Initially I did pay a gal to format, but once again was let down, so I ended up learning it all myself. I’m much happier with my final product and have even done some for writer friends. I love adding special details.
This year I did have a friend update the font on my covers and I’ve had a fresh set of eyes on some minor tweaks, so I’m thrilled to be re-releasing them with updates. I’m excited for the first time in a long time about this series again.
What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
In all honesty, WRITING is the easy part for me. My characters always run the show. I’ve never had writer’s block and I think that’s why. I don’t plot things out and have to worry how to get there – it just happens.  It’s everything after THE END that is the tough part. Some people who have known me for years don't know I write. I’m my own worst marketer.
What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?
E-mails from fans are what keeps me going. Just when you think you’re ready to throw in the towel, someone tells you “Thanks for the cry!” or “This is my new favorite book!” or something like that. I don’t take praise well for anything, but it’s nice to hear now and then that your work is reaching (or touching) someone.
What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?
I wish I had the patience to shrug off the rejections and wait for that agent. I had one calling after I had already signed with a small press, and I always wonder where I’d be.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
You definitely need a writing related support system. The best thing to ever happen to me was
 finding Absolute Write. They are a wonderful community with answers to everything. It saved me from almost signing with a terrible vanity press. Do your background work on anyone asking for your work. You NEVER pay to get published. 
Although I haven’t been there for years, I am friends with about 100 authors on Facebook and have met several in person. Writers are weird. We need to stick with our own kind.  Of course your best friend or mom will gush over your book, but you need someone with some experience to tell you what you need to fix. Your 1st draft is never what you are going to send to an agent. (or 10th!)
Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
I think the main thing is to just write. There is no one correct way to get through the process. I’m a “pantser,” plotters don’t get that. Neither one of us is right nor wrong. You have to do what works for you. I write start to end, then fill in the blanks. Some re-read every paragraph until it’s perfect. I’d lose momentum (and my mind) if I did that. 
Don’t let someone tell you “You can’t start it without a title.” Um….that comes last almost always for me. ‘You’re not a writer if….” No. I had joined RWA because I was told “You’re not a real romance writer if you’re not in RWA.” Then it was “You’re not really in RWA until you go to a convention…” Just no. You set your goals and do what you love. 

If you want to be published, do your homework. Do the best you can, polish it up, get lots of feedback, pay a good editor. I actually have lots of writing/editing tips on my women’s fiction site. See the * below. I’ll include that at the end. 
By all means, read up on what you can and absorb tips but don’t let someone tell you that you’re doing it wrong. Just write if that’s what's making you happy.
What is the next book coming out? 
Currently, I don’t have another book in this series being released soon. There is a prequel that has been unfinished for years and notes on one where I take them to Maui (my home). I had planned that before Moana and now…I don’t know. There were not many similarities (like I wrote my #2 before Tangled came out) but my women’s fiction has been demanding my time lately. And with it being iffy about my daughter doing a cover, I won’t do it without her. So, we’ll see.
Quick fun fact, the Samantha from the series is actually on my latest release in my women’s fiction – Love You More. It’s been so fun to watch them grow up.
Through the Mirror and Into Snow is FREE right now at all e-book retailers.
That's all for today's interview.  I encourage you to get her first book in the series as a freebie. I've read it and it was a fun read and I love her characterizations of classic fairy tale heroines. If you'd like to learn more about the other books in the series or her women's fiction, here are the links to get you started.
MG books website: https://www.beforehappilyeverafter.com/
Women’s fiction website: https://www.junekramin.com/
(*Writing/Editing tips page is a separate tab there)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnnTBugg
Newsletter sign up: https://www.beforehappilyeverafter.com/News

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the interview and shares of the covers! You have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your writing journey. Love how your daughter was not only included in the story but in doing the early covers as well!

    ReplyDelete