Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Writing for Life and Keeping it Fresh: Author Interview with Lucy McConnell

Your bio says you’ve published over 90 novels. How do you keep the writing fresh and come up with new and unique plot lines?

I find inspiration for new books by living life and trying new things. I've done a lot as an adult that I never got to experience as a kid. Being open to new ideas, hobbies, and friends makes all the difference.

Have you ever considered writing in another genre?
I have written historical fiction and cookbooks. So, yes, I have enjoyed writing other genres. One day I may go back to historical fiction. I love looking into the past, into events and facts, and finding the human elements.

Do you work on more than one series at a time?
I do work on more than one series at a time. I find that it keeps writing fresh for me so I don't have to deal with writer's block or burnout.

Some of your series are done with other authors. How does that come together?
Each one happened in a completely different way. With the

McKnight Family Romances
, coauthored with Anne-Marie Meyer, she approached me with the idea. I loved it right off the bat and we dove in. Anne-Marie was a breeze to write with and so on top of things. I loved working with her.

The Journals of Medical Romance Series

was a little different. Hannah Peterson is a PA. She had ideas for stories but not a lot of time. Instead of going back and forth, she would write the first draft. I would do an edit and then a follow-up edit after the book sat for a bit. The partnership was incredible. Hannah has all the medical knowledge and background and I was able to bring in the romance and writing. Together we were a crack team. She's recently added to her family and has taken a break from writing but I look forward to getting back into it with her.

The Mission: Harvest Ranch Wedding Series with Ellie Thornton was not on my radar. Ellie had written a book that included the Black Ops Tag angle. I prodded her to write more with the side characters--the BOTs guys. She agreed to do it--but only if we did it together. I LOVED the idea of these four military guys FINALLY falling in love. They're all a little older and a little crazy, which makes for some great books. We've just released "Joseph" and are working on "Pete" now.

Often when I see a book series that brings in a co-author, the main author is soon to bow out of writing  and let the new author take over? Is that the case with you?
Not at all. In each series, I'm a full participant and my co-authors are too. I only co-author with people who are as invested in the series as I am. It's been a delightful process.


I’m currently writing re-spun fairy tales for children, so I was intrigued by the Fairy Godmother Chronicles Podcast. Can you give me more details? 
The idea came from a fantasy book I wrote about a fairy godmother. It was done early on and is out of print. I identified with a fairy godmother because I take two characters, who are perfect for each other but don't know it, and throw them together in a book.

Your website has something about undercover engagement audio dramas. Can you give me some details on how this came about? Why did you choose that route? 
Audiodramas are not new, but they're an amazing medium for storytelling. It takes money to put together a production with actors, sound effects, and original music. I did crowdfunding because I believe readers will want to be a part of the process. I wasn't wrong and I think things have turned out quite well. You can listen to the finished product here: https://app.dramafy.com/#/shows/undercoverengagement

You are certainly adept at marketing. I love your Diamond Cove, FL series where you’re creating activities outside of the book. How did that come about? 
Diamond Cove is a unique experience for readers. We (the authors of the series) wanted to bring readers into the world and allow them to experience it on a whole new level. Each week we email a newsletter that tells you what's going on in The Cove--including recipes, crafts, and more. The newsletters are tied to what's happening in the books and the reader is a part of that world. There are Easter eggs to find and some hilarious happenings around The Cove. It's a really fun experience. Readers can get the first book in the series, The Secret Seven, and join our newsletter list here: https://dl.bookfunnel.com/u8jkudyjx8

What are your best marketing tips you’d suggest to other authors? 
For me, it's been sharing my love of stories and of reading, on social media and in my newsletter. I know authors who succeed with nothing more than a monthly newsletter and those who spend hours live on YouTube. I think the reason they succeed is that they pick something and do it well.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing? 
A lot of the encouragement I get comes from readers; emails and PMs that tell me my story reached their hearts. A few years back, after losing 4 grandparents in under a year, I wrote a really sad story about a man who hired a woman to be his bride because he wanted to get married before he died--and he had cancer. It was soul-ripping and completely out of my normal happy ever after books. 

But for me, it was also healing. I decided to publish it on the hope that it would help others. I received hundreds of emails from readers who went through the pain of losing someone or who had fought cancer themself. They found strength in that story. That's encouraging to me. I get a lot of emails and letters from people who find hope in the happy stories too. That keeps me going, keeps me writing.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give? 
There is an audience for every book. Write what is in your heart.

Can you give me some details on one of your current books? 
"Joseph" was recently released. Here's what the story is about. 

Bree has been dying to go undercover for the IRS and bring down someone big, but it doesn’t matter how long she stays at the office… the dates she avoids so she can work weekends … the dumpsters she climbs in… she’s overlooked for the field assignments. Every. Time.

Until Joseph Murphy came along with a shiny new campaign embezzlement investigation. He’s been called in because his buddy is the groom and Bree is asked to pose as his date for a week of wedding festivities. The problem? No one will believe these two are together.

Not when she talks about seeing him with his shirt off.
Not when she sneaks into his room in the middle of the night.
Not even when they’re caught making out in the back of the campaign managers car.

If she wasn’t so certain that she wasn’t his type, Bree might think Joseph was falling for her. After all, he’s introduced her to his son, talked about having kids, and kissed her like no man has ever kissed her before.

Could it be real? Or is this just a case of mistaken romance? 

Laugh along with these two as they uncover the dastardly deeds carefully hidden within America and Andy’s wedding. Will they solve the case and have enough time to fall in love? Or will the bad guy take more than a few million dollars?

Find out in this military romantic comedy featuring a neuro-diverse bridesmaid and a single father.

Wow! That's a lot to unpack. If you'd like to learn more about this book any of the vast number of other books, you can find the details on her Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Lucy-McConnell/e/B00GKS2ZC2/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_ebooks_1

And don't forget about that FREE offer of the first book in the Diamond Cove series, The Secret Seven, by joining her newsletter. Here's the link again: 

No comments:

Post a Comment