Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Finding the Right Illustrator: Author Interview with Debbie L. Hepner

What made you decide to start writing picture books? 

I started writing picture books during the pandemic. I had many ideas that were gathered from experiences with my grandchildren and my teaching career. The pandemic slowed me down enough to get my thoughts on paper.

How long did it take for you to complete your first book? 
My first book was completed and published in about 6 months; the second book followed 4 months later.

How many rewrites did you do?
Many, many rewrites. But that was fun for me. Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic to change a sentence or paragraph was rewarding and fun. It also helped me go back to sleep.

Are you active with any writing groups?
Yes, I'm a member of SCWBI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators), CBI (children’s book Insider), and IBPA (Independent Book Publishers Association)

How did you go about finding an illustrator?

Research, research, and more research. Before knowing the ins and outs of the publishing business I was worried that my stories could be stolen. Then I discovered Reedsy, where contracts were given, my work was protected, and I could choose the illustrators I wanted to work with. 

I then spent hours looking through portfolios until I narrowed it down to the illustrator’s style that I wanted for a story. After publishing a couple of books, I started looking at Childrensillustrators.com. This is a website of amazingly talented illustrators. I used an illustrator from this site for my third book.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
Choosing illustrators and marketing are the most time-consuming.

Did you personally design the full book, or did you have assistance with formatting or cover design, etc.? 
I chose a professional that could design, illustrate, and format the stories I had written. We collaborated on every part, from start to publishing.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
Although not enough of them, I love to read my wonderful reviews and hear the children’s comments after the story has been read to them.

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?

My books are in the Young Bookworms Book Store in Colorado Springs. They seem to be doing quite well there.

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
I need to build interest in my books before publishing them.

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

Don’t let an editor rewrite your story! Their job is to correct it, not make it theirs.

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?
Even though I was a teacher for 30 years and corrected countless papers. Having an editor is a must. It’s amazing the tiny things that can be overlooked.

What is the next book coming out  Can you give me some details?
The second book in the Racee Acee series is being illustrated now and it is going to be fantastic!

Racee Acee, The Toboggan Race
 is a story about working together, problem-solving, and a whole lot of laughter and fun. Acee, Tobias, Mia, and Riley are trying to make their toboggan go faster for the annual toboggan race. They come up with some pretty unusual solutions and have a great time together.

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Debbie's books, click on the links below. And here's a special bonus for my readers, go to her website and click on the contact tab and leave a short comment that you'd like to win a book with your details. Next Friday morning, she'll choose one winner and mail a print book to that person. So, do it now!

Website: https://debstories.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/debbie.hepner.9/
Instagram: Debbie L. Hepner (@storiesbydeb) • Instagram photos and videos

 

No comments:

Post a Comment