Blog Archive

Friday, March 31, 2023

We All Have Value: Author Interview with Heidi Gray McGill

Why did you choose to write romance novels? 
I started writing Christian historical fiction because this is what I love to read the most. Having nothing to lose was a gift when I self-published my first book. I knew my purpose was to glorify God. Whether five or five-thousand people read what I published didn’t matter.
Last year I wrote my first Christian contemporary romance, Dial E for Endearment, to shed light on Vision Awareness Month. The blind community blessed me with kindness through notes and reviews. When I realized the impact my words could have on hurting individuals, I wrote Dial P for Perfect, a curvy-girl Christian contemporary romantic comedy.

What is the hardest part of writing for you? 
The hardest part of writing is not getting distracted! I have difficulty shutting off my mind when I need to focus on something or someone. I’m easily distracted by things—even good things—like the laughter of my grandsons, the smell of dinner cooking, or the ping of my phone when I get a text. I’ve learned to put my phone aside, but I have to schedule a time to write when there will be minimal distractions to keep me in line.

Learning to say no to others when I’ve scheduled a specific time to write is another issue with  which I struggle. Reminding myself this author gig isn’t a cute hobby, but a ministry means  saying no when the need to complete a deadline is essential. I’m an introverted extrovert. I need social interaction in small batches, and I cannot lock myself in a room for days to accomplish a task. Taking walks, stopping for healthy meals, talking to a friend, and planning activities with family help me stay true to myself. Keeping a color-coordinated calendar helps me see at a glance the balance between work, family, friends, church, and downtime.


What is the best marketing tip you can offer?
Marketing is its own beast in the author world, and not all of us have the weapons to slay it. An excellent place to start is to determine if you have more time or money. If it is money, there are wonderful ways to share your book with the world, such as a BookBub Featured Deal. If you’re short on funds, finding places to connect with others is the best place to start. Being a part of the 
social media community can be a time sucker, but if you want to make superfans that will buy whatever book you put out before they read the blurb, you have to be a genuine friend. It takes time but is worth the effort.

What’s the best writing advice you could offer?
Every author should know their purpose for writing before they begin. For me, it sounds like this: Writing is my ministry, and it’s how I share Christ with those who may never pick up a
Bible or step foot inside a church. I also write to encourage those in the Faith to live abundant lives—full of all God desires for us. Writing is also how I work through my heart’s questions and embrace God’s best for me. Charles H. Spurgeon, in All of Grace, says it best. “Begin as you mean to go on, and go on as you began, and let the Lord be all in all to you.”

Tell us something about yourself that is not in your bio.
I am legally blind and have only 5% of my vision remaining. My diagnosis of Retinitis
Pigmentosa in 2001 was devastating. There is no cure, and there is no surgery. But that does not mean there is no hope. I still have value. Those who do not know me well often don’t realize I have low vision or zero vision in a dark room. We humans are amazingly adaptable, and I do a pretty good job covering up my disability.

My friends have learned to watch out for me and alert me to potential pitfalls, some better than others, which is always good for a laugh. I use a cane when I’m navigating alone.

When I wrote Dial E for Endearment, I used personal experiences. I wanted readers to view the world from a new perspective and help them see that God does not discriminate. Through
laughter and love, I desire that my readers learn we all have value.

That's all for today's interview. I hope you've been inspired by what you've read and appreciate your blessings. If you'd like to learn more about Heidi's book's, here are some links to get you started.

And here's a bonus for my readers...If you go to Heidi's website and click on the "FREE BOOK" tab,  and sign up for her newsletter you'll automatically get her prequel to my Discerning God’s Best series for FREE. 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Chris, for this interview. Heidi is a true inspiration. Her books look so enticing. Would like to know if she created her own book covers.

    ReplyDelete