Blog Archive

Friday, July 28, 2023

Give Yourself Grace in Writing: Author Interview with Melanie Snitker

Amazon shows you having published 37 titles with more in pre-order, but what inspired you to write that first one? 
My very first book, Calming the Storm, was inspired by two things. First, when I was in high school, I began reading inspirational romance novels. I read everything I could find at the library, but quickly discovered that the number of romance novels I would consider clean or appropriate were sorely lacking. When I was in college, I continued to find that to be the case. That's when I decided that, if more clean and inspirational romance novels were needed, maybe I should just write them myself.  


The other thing that inspired Calming the Storm was one of my favorite songs by Scott Krippayne called "Sometimes He Calms the Storm." That song was a frequent source of encouragement for me, and I wanted to incorporate the idea behind the song into my book. 


How many rewrites did you do?

It took me years to write that book in between college, getting married, and having our two kids. There may have been only one or two official rewrites, but I read through it (and edited parts) so many times during that writing process. 

 

How do you go about plotting your suspense? Do you pick the victim or the criminal first? 

I always pick the victim first. It's usually a character that I've had in mind for a while, and one that I've gotten to know. I can then look at what she does for a living, where she lives, and her hobbies to determine what kind of criminal and dangerous situation works the best. I spend a great deal of time brainstorming scenes. I almost always brainstorm my suspense scenes first and then the romance scenes after that.

 

What do you think makes for a great romantic suspense novel?

In my opinion, there are two components that make a great romantic suspense novel. The first, of course, is the suspense. And I think that suspense needs to either be present, or the reader reminded of it, in each chapter. The other is the kind of romance that has the reader sighing with a smile on their face. I've read some romantic suspense novels where the romance took more of a backseat. I like to try and keep them at an equal level. After all, seeing someone you care about being injured or threatened increases the tension all the way around. 

 

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had in your writing?

Some of the best encouragement is when I have readers who have been with me since the beginning who still go out of their way to read, comment by e-mail, and review my books. 

 

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produces more sales rather than just clicks?

As far as a paid source goes, BookBub featured deals are definitely at the top of the list. Getting accepted for one is always a huge blessing. When it comes to consistency, the most valuable marketing source is my newsletter list. I send a newsletter every week, and I work hard to try and develop a relationship with my readers. After all, I wouldn't be where I am as an author if it weren't for them! 

 

What do you know now about writing you wished you had known sooner?

That I needed to stick to my lane and keep writing the kind of books my readers expected and looked forward to reading. I went through a period of doubt about that for a little while. I didn't veer far (wrote a few clean romances as opposed to Christian romance), but it was enough to confuse some of my readers. There is a lot of ebb and flow to this business, no matter which genre you write for. It's far too easy to wonder if the grass is greener on the other side when it's really all about how much you care for and water your own.

 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?

To give myself grace. Everyone goes through seasons in their lives where it might become difficult to find time to write. My husband and I have a child with severe special needs, and there have been months or even years where his health concerns have made focusing on writing nearly impossible. But I always appreciated the encouragement to not give up and to give myself grace. Because the storm always clears eventually!

 

Are there any other points about writing you would like to add?

It's so important to reach out and get connected to other authors. That encouragement is huge! I have several amazing friends that I met through groups on Facebook, and I can't imagine going through this journey without them. 

 

What is the next book coming out? Can you give me a short synopsis?

My next book is called Frozen in Jeopardy, and it released this week. This is the second book in my Danger in Destiny series. I'm especially excited about this one. The research was so much fun. I was even able to go on a ride-along with one of our local officers and his K-9 partner. Here's a little more about it: 


Officer Gabe Harrison is in a race against time when he discovers veterinarian Paige Wade is in danger. But who is after his friend and why makes no sense. Can he and his K-9 partner keep her alive long enough to unravel the puzzle?


Sounds like an intriguing read!  I hope you want to learn more about the numerous books Melanie has written. Here are the links to buy them.

Website: https://www.melaniedsnitker.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/melaniedsnitker

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/melaniedsnitker/

And here's TWO bonuses for my readers, leave a comment on this post and we'll pick one reader who'll receive a FREE copy of  Melanie's eBook, Out of the Ashes, the first book in that Danger in Destiny series.  

So do that now. It can be as simple as I want to be in the giveaway. We'll chose a winner next Friday!

Here's the second bonus. If you sign up for her newsletter, you'll get a FREE book!

 https://www.melaniedsnitker.com/newsletter.html


2 comments:

  1. Another great interview, Chris. I like her advice of staying in her lane. I have made the mistake of swaying from one genre to another and never gained an email list of people who would be faithful to one of those genre's. Will definitely sign up for her newsletter too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WlI understand we go through seasons in our writing. It's okay if a person has other priorities than writing. I am guilty of not sticking with a genre, spreaders aren't sure what's next! Lol. Best wishes on your new release!

    ReplyDelete