Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

What You Didn't Learn In Creative Writing Classes: Author Interview with Lauren Thornhill

What made you decide to write fantasy novels? Was there an author you read that made you think, I can do that?”

I don't remember the exact moment desire to write fantasy hit me. I was in my "YA romance" phase of writing from high school to college. But during my upperclassman years of college, I wrote Beckah into one of my YA stories and... she was more than a secondary character. 

I was late to reading the fantasy genre but once I did, I was hooked. And something about Beckah made me want to write a fantasy story. Maybe it was all the Tolkien and Lewis I was reading, or the excess of literature classes I was taking, but I decided to step into the proverbial wardrobe and try my hand at fantasy. And I have no regrets.  

How long did it take for you to complete your first book? How many rewrites did you do?
My first draft of Prophetess of Arden was finished in about a year, and I was excited. I wouldn't have been so excited if I knew how many rewrites there would be. I think in total there was ... five or six? I had a lot of learning to do. Mostly I had to "unlearn" everything I learned in college creative writing. Turns out, you did need to write to a target audience, and writing in the style of authors who had been dead for decades wasn't an option. :)

You are active in two critique groups. Why do you think it’s important to have feedback from other authors.
I am a member of Christian Writers Group of Greater San Antonio and Ironsharpeners of Realm Makers. Feedback is absolutely critical. But most importantly, knowledgeable feedback is essential. Your friends and family members are always going to be biased about your writing. Very few will give you the feedback you NEED. 

However, fellow writers, published authors, editors, teachers, and readers of your genre are the ones who tell you what you are doing right and, more importantly, what you are doing wrong. And if you can't take their criticism before the book is published, then you won't be able to handle the Amazon or Goodreads reviews. This is where you get the thick skin. Use this time wisely.

How has Realm Makers helped you in your writing?
I can't say enough good things about Realm Makers. If you love Jesus, and you love fantasy, sci-fi, or any speculative genre, then you're welcome. It's a community of Christian writers who are also very nerdy. But it's a real conference and support for writers. The classes are great and Scott and Becky Minor run the group with love and diligence. I thought I was going to be the oddball when I chose to try my hand at Christian Fantasy but at RM I am not alone. Also, I can't stop buying the books. So many wonderful stories come out of Realm Makers. God bless it!

How did you go about finding an illustrator?

I found my cover artist at Realm Makers. I looked at several book covers and took down information on a few illustrators. The one I reached out to, LoriAnn Weldon of Magpie Designs LTD, also had a table at the conference. I loved her work. She illustrated both my novel and novella The Lost Descendants. The formatter for Prophetess was recommended to me through a writer friend. They had done a few projects together. I reached out and she was available.

What was the hardest part of putting together your books?
 The hardest part for me is to accept that the book is done. The introvert in me didn't want to release the book to criticism. And, despite all the editing, was terrified of any error I failed to correct. It's a terrifying feeling. But you can't keep editing forever. The book will never feel perfect and that's a reality I had to embrace.

What’s the best encouragement you’ve had from readers?
I have had some kind and generous encouragement since the publication. But easily the best came from a young woman at a church conference. Her mother had bought her Prophetess at another event. And she was back to buy the novella because she needed more. She flat-out told me I needed to keep writing because she wanted to read what happened next - practically demanded that I keep it up. I didn't know this girl at all, and I was so happy to hear her say that she needed the sequel. To me, that is success!

Marketing is the biggest key to getting sales. What is the best marketing source you've used that has produced more sales rather than just clicks?
I'm not very good with online marketing. It's something I am constantly having to refresh myself on. I have, however, had some decent success by attending as many vendor events as I can. I've done local city events and church events. And it's done well for me. I will continue to try to improve my online marketing but if you're not good at it, like me, then I encourage anyone to go out in person and sell. People love to see you talk about your book. They want to know the author. 

What do you know now about publishing you wished you had known sooner?
Networking. I underestimated how much of publishing includes networking. Editors, illustrators, a street team, mentors all contribute to the process more than a lot of programs or books will tell you. 

What is the best writing advice you’ve received or could give?
The best advice I ever received was by editor/author Erin Healey. She let out her time for those who signed up for Ted Dekker's first publishing class years ago. She told me that I needed to join writers groups like ACFW and any critique group I could find. And to participate in conferences if possible. I had no idea any such things existed outside of your stereotypical book club. 

But I followed her advice and within a few months I was a member of ACFW and met my critique group through the local chapter. About six months later, I was flying to my first conference (Realm Makers). It was hard for me at first as an introvert but being a part of these groups has been a Godsend. 


What is the next book coming out? Can you give me some details?
I am writing book 2 in my fantasy series, and am editing book 1 in a steampunk trilogy. I hope to have the first done and published in a few years. The editing project... well, I'm going over publication possibilities with some friends. We'll see what God has in store for it.

That's all for today's interview. I hope you will take the time to check out her books. You won't be disappointed. I was in the critique group where she initially started getting feedback in her writing and was impressed by her writing even at that stage. Once she got involved in Realm Makers she was totally on fire as an author. I hope she will continue her series with many more books to come. 
Amazon Author Page
Here's an insider tip for my readers... When you sign up for her newsletter updates you'll receive an eBook copy of The Lost Decendents. So do it now!

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover of your book! Thanks for sending this info!

    ReplyDelete