Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

It's Continuing to Read Like a Christmas Romance 2023: Author Interview with Cindy Flores Martinez

How did you come up with the idea for your Christmas book? Could you give a short synopsis on the book for my readers?
Mia’s Gift is part of the Inspirational Romance series, Small-Town Christmas Wishes, which I created a few years ago. The idea came to me all of a sudden. Sometimes I pray for ideas when I need them, and they just come to me. Sometimes they happen when I’m not even looking for them. The series and my story came about that way.

My story, Mia’s Gift, has been republished as a second edition. I wanted to rewrite it for years because it wasn’t fully finished by the publishing deadline. The first edition was more like a draft. Earlier this year, I suddenly felt inspired and began writing. I spent the summer removing scenes, rewriting scenes, and adding new scenes. I hope it’s a better story now.

Mia’s Gift is about a cupcake shop owner named Mia who unexpectedly receives a letter from an old high school friend, who has passed away. In the letter, Mia’s friend asks her to become a secret angel in her place. Mia decides to try and grant a wish for the man she has feelings for and his fifteen-year-old niece, who are in desperate need of a miracle. Mia discovers that making the wish come true is a lot harder than she ever imagined.

What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?
My dad grew up in Mexico and my mom’s parents were from Mexico, so when I think of Christmas traditions, I think of Mexican traditions. When I was growing up, we followed the popular tradition of enjoying a Mexican Christmas family dinner together on Christmas Eve, which included homemade tamales, champurrado (Mexican hot chocolate) and polvorones (Mexican wedding cookies). We would then open gifts at midnight. My dad is no longer alive, so I treasure those memories.

What’s next in writing for you? 
I’ve been writing my next book on a very part-time basis. This time, the lead character is a teenager, and like all my previous lead characters, she’s Mexican-American. I’m not sure when the story will be published but I’m trying!

What’s the best writing tip you’ve learned or been given you’d like to share?
The best writing tip I can share is not to create publishing deadlines or pre-orders for your stories. Give yourself enough time to write and rewrite. Otherwise, you might publish something because you have to and not because it’s the best story it can be.

What do you know now about writing and publishing you wish you had learned sooner?
There’s so much I’ve learned. The thing that stands out above the rest is how important it is to study and practice writing before publishing a story.

Any last words or tips?
My advice for anyone who wants to write a book is to keep reading and writing. It’s the only way to become better at it.

Are there any other books that you’d like to tell my readers about?
Yes, there are several books in the Small-Town Christmas Wishes series that were written by different authors. I think your readers would enjoy them!

Like Cindy, I'm looking forward to having tamales on Christmas Eve, but mine will be bought from our favorite Mexican family restaurent. However, I will be baking a few dozen Mexican wedding cookies for our church's  sweet treats after the Christmas Eve service. 

That's all for today's interview. If you'd like to learn more about Cindy's writing, here are two links to get you started. 


And now for a Christmas treat for my readers... Here is a link to an assortment of Sweet Christmas romance stories that cover a whole range of sub-genres from contemporary to historical romances. These free eBooks are only available through 12/31, so make your choices now! https://books.bookfunnel.com/stuffyourstocking/5pbr3uc8pi


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring me on your blog, Christine! Have a blessed and Merry Christmas. Enjoy the tamales and Mexican wedding cookies. --Cindy Flores Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the same to you. Enjoy your Christmas . Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete